Sunday, September 21, 2008

Things that make me smile

Things that I am loving right now:
1. Katy on the cusp of literacy. "Mom, want to see? I drew my ABCs and 123s."
(...and she did!)
2. the coveted purple leotard. She's been in it all weekend, including bedtime. Yuck!
3. Backyard patio, completed. I love that the patio has increased our "living space" so much and seems to blur that line between outside and inside in the side yard. Our sweet neighbor, who grew up in this house, gave me a bunch of monkey grass and hostas (and some other plants!) this weekend, as she thinned her gardens. It made the dogwood in the patio look like it's been there for a long time!
4. Randy, just hanging in the backyard. As most of you probably know, she's a 12 year-old retired military working dog that I took care of several years ago while I was in Korea. She travelled half-way across the world to come live with us just about 6 weeks ago. She's loving life as a house pet, and she's completely spoiled rotten already. In fact, she's curled up next to me on the couch right now. Did I accuse Bryan of being the softie in my last post? (*raising hand*) Well, I'm guilty as well.
5. Bryan, who is incapable of letting an entire weekend go without starting a new project, despite my pleas to just relax a bit. He started (and nearly completed) a footbridge over the tree that blocks an easy path from the backyard to the side yard. I think he's enjoying having a creative project to play with, and I think it will be cute when it's completed.
6. Lying under the huge river maple in the side yard, watching the helicopters float to the ground, on a nice cool early fall day. I love that tree, and I love this time of year in Maryland. It's the perfect way to end a nice lazy weekend day!
Have a happy Sunday!!

No comments: